14 Responses to “Obsessed with Rocks”

1. Tonia (@IttyBittyImpact)

OMG! My friend’s German Shepherd does this too! He is OBSESSED with rocks!!!!! So funny! He brings them to you like a ball and lays the rock at your feet and barks until you kick or throw it for him.

2. Kirsten

This is actually a very horrible obsession and in no way funny at all, especially in a large and powerful breed it can cause many problems aside from broken teeth. Playing with rocks is sometimes okay as long as when told to leave it they listen, and taking it away causes no problems, however in this case him barking to defend it could lead to biting, even if he’s been doing this for years and hasn’t yet, he still could get more aggressive. You should be the one to claim the rock, rather than just trying to pull it away, as that can cause them to try and pull or bark back to defend it as theirs. This reminds me of Cesar Millan S2E16 with a dog named Punkin, watching that might be a good idea.

3. Napole

Agree with Kristen. Our 7 lbs MaltePoo mutt is obsessed with socks, dirty, clean, whatever condition. She acts very possessive of the socks she “claims” as if they are her “babies”. She even gets aggressive if those socks are touched, moved, etc. At first we thought it was cute. Well, as time goes on her sock aggression is not at all funny nor cute. We are loving de-programming her gradually. Short bust of timeout tells her her behavior is unacceptable.

4. Sereva

My shepherd had a rock obsession too. He liked the weight of them and treated them like heavy tennis balls. Be careful, we were not aware he had swallowed a midsized one until it caused a blockage in his stomach. A very expensive surgery later….

5. Rae R

That is so funny! My beloved cocker spaniel use to do the same thing and I dare not get rid of any rock he brought around to play with. He was so cute and I still smile to this day when I think about him.

6. Luci Maldonado

I agree to some degree about the concerns regarding fixation as well as physical damage. First of all the damage to the teeth may over time become uncomfortable for your shepherd and you will have to watch for very subtle signs because their may not be visible damage but the teeth could be come very sensitive. When it comes to the possession issue the points made are valid regarding the behavior but you know your pet and the same could be said about a tennis ball. Where it is not the same as a tennis ball what if a toddler walks over and tries to pick up the rock or even goes near it. Most people won’t know the affection your dog has for a particular rock and won’t use the same common sense that they would if they passed in front of a dog near a bone or a toy. I still think the post is adorable and no one knows Jack like you do. God bless.

7. Linda

We were godparents of a Shepherd with same obsession! As big a rocks as he could find! He’d even dive 4 feet under water in the ocean to find rocks to bring up! Everywhere he went he’d keep an eye out for ‘good’ ones! And yes he did chip a couple teeth! He never got aggressive or possessive about them just liked to collect them!

8. ba

My puppy thinks that everything is his toy. He took a car batery out of the back in of the truck to play with. took the EZ-Up tent out of the container, unfolded it and tried to set it up. Opened the floor jack package and we are still looking for all the parts. he can’t help it everything is his toy, he’s just a min-pin. a 110 lb min-pin. His nick name is perina-gattor.

9. Anna

I am so glad my dog isn’t the only one that does this! Mine has a rock collection that lives under the radiator. He brings them home from walks, puts them under there, and when he’s upset about the vacuum or anything else, pulls them out and licks each one. Yup, he’s a weirdo.

10. Danielle Blais

My friend’s German Shepard Ginger, loves rocks! That’s what she’s going to get for Christmas this year. I’m going to paint it bright colors and put her name on it. They can keep it in their fenced-in backyard.

Leave a Reply! Woof!